Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Bear Canyon Trail 08/02/15

This trail is more commonly called "Bear's Roll Off" and starts from Mutual Dell in American Fork Canyon. So I know this trail - I have climbed this trail - except it was when I was a kid and had WAY more energy for hills! haha  The first quarter of a mile is basically switch backs that are straight up. After you conquer that part it's actually a really pretty hike.

11825655_10207485164146786_1586056420770466303_n

11828712_10207485165306815_2518910288787244203_n
Funky Tree Medina?

11825212_10207485166866854_6124306918054783259_n11825212_10207485165546821_4451111408030480891_n
         

  
11828782_10207485167226863_1050509146899800796_n
Powering through the hills

One of the concepts we learned this week in P90 is to "paint your boat" which is showing people what you stand for by your actions and words.  The phrase that I chose to represent me is "Today I choose a life of passion, full of love and peace, knowing that I am infinite."  This was such a motivation to get me through this hike.  Hiking (for those that wonder, lol) is not easy and it's especially hard when you are new to hiking and the people you are will are in better shape than you.  So remembering to choose love and peace when you have an opportunity to push someone off a cliff...well it's a daily struggle to be a better person :)

11825163_10207485164706800_993691567154441770_n
MAN pose

11824983_10207485164346791_792638713301402040_n
sometimes you have to push your (tor)mentor off a cliff

11817216_10207485165826828_1101289729842581565_n
Don't take my snacks
I have loved hiking with these two this summer. Nate and I are both from larger families and so we joke and have so much fun teasing Brittany.  She was raised basically as an only child so she doesn't quite get our teasing and it's pretty fun and fantastic.  Usually Nate and I had competitions with each other to see who could make Brittany mad first. haha
She would storm ahead and 'scout out the trail' for us while we sat back and laughed.
11807183_10207485164906805_4876150688771045014_o
Nate is always trying to pick my nose...EW
This particular hike ended a little different than others since this trail starts in Mutual Dell and ends at Timponooke Road.  Brittany had sworn she heard a bear on the trail and was refusing to go back that way. She wanted to take the main canyon road back. Which is about 2 miles longer than the trail itself.  So, after discussion about how it was NOT a bear and snickering about her being scared we decided to let her choose the path.  She did decide to take the road.  It was a LONG hike down.  But we definitely didn't see any wildlife.  Finally about a 1/2 mile from Mutual Dell a random stranger stopped and asked if we wanted a ride. He was a life saver and (accidentally) we gave him my hiking poles as a thank you.  Ok, that was not ever confirmed, but we had them when we got into his car and did not have them when we got back into my car. sigh.  I hope he enjoyed them!

No comments:

Post a Comment